AlexT
  • AlexT
  • Member Topic Starter
2017-11-15T23:10:32Z
I am trying to deploy my first app using the iGrid ActiveX and one of my tester (ou of a total of 4) has the following message when trying to register the OCX:

Registration issue

All 3 others went smoothly.

Any idea what could be wrong here (it is a French version of the OS but I guess it should not be relevant) ?
Igor/10Tec
2017-11-17T05:46:19Z
Launch the command prompt with admin rights.

Read also the following KB posts on our forum:

Redistributing the iGrid OCX / Registering in the Windows registry 

Registering iGrid without admin rights 
csmith222
2018-01-24T13:56:16Z
I'm still not clear on the best way to ensure other machines can open excel files with forms containing this control, without having to have admin privileges and manually installing.

I'm kinda new to this and love this control, but I'd like for others within the organization to be able to use this. How can I ensure they can open the file and load the forms?
AlexT
  • AlexT
  • Member Topic Starter
2018-01-24T14:21:04Z
Originally Posted by: csmith222 

I'm still not clear on the best way to ensure other machines can open excel files with forms containing this control, without having to have admin privileges and manually installing.

I'm kinda new to this and love this control, but I'd like for others within the organization to be able to use this. How can I ensure they can open the file and load the forms?

My understanding is that unless you use late binding  (ie not put a direct reference to the object in your project) you will need to have some sort of install procedure (based on the scripts mention by Igor) separate from you actual workbook.

Igor/10Tec
2018-01-24T14:30:46Z
Even if you use late binding, the library you want to use must be registered in the Windows registry.

And late binding is not applicable to visual ActiveX controls like iGrid.
csmith222
2018-01-24T15:02:06Z
Ok... I've read these two threads about Registering-in-the-windows-registry and Registering-in-the-windows-registry (it wouldn't let me post the links without rejecting the post as spam...)

I'm not an IT guy, nor am I a programmer, so I am totally lost here. I'm an excel user who has learned how to create forms and came across a need to do things that iGrid was an amazing fit for. I've installed it on my own system, so I can develop the forms and the code needed to utilize the iGrid control in my forms, but I just need the best way to "deploy" it.

I at least need to get it running on our conference room computer, which is running windows 10. Should I just install it the same way I did on my own computer? The IT guy can do that (reluctantly) via admin privileges. it'll be even harder to get him to manually install the demo on each computer in our organization.

from the other posts, it looked like I could maybe apply some code in a module to run when the file is opened that would register the control, as long as I can modify it to map the path to the correct folder location, right?

talk to me like I'm 5
Igor/10Tec
2018-01-25T15:34:39Z
The simplest and most reliable way to deploy iGrid ActiveX is to copy the OCX and register it in the Windows registry using the regsvr32.exe utility any edition of Windows contain. The command line should be the following:

regsvr32.exe <full_path_to_OCX>

Actually the iGrid demo installer does this work as a part of the installation process. The only possible problem is that you need the admin rights for successful registration.

BTW, the admin rights are also required for the same registration when you install the iGrid demo, but we can't avoid this as it is the "rules" of Windows and COM. However, you do not need to install the whole demo to register the iGrid OCX - regsvr32 is enough.
csmith222
2018-01-26T16:13:42Z
Thank you for the reply, Igor. Our IT manager felt it was easier just to install the demo on the Windows 10 computer in the conf room, so I'm able to load the userforms created elsewhere with the iGrid ActiveX control.
Igor/10Tec
2018-01-26T17:55:46Z
The demo installs the demo version of the OCX, so be ready to see nag screens :)

To avoid this, overwrite the demo OCX with the full one.
csmith222
2018-02-14T19:43:19Z
Originally Posted by: Igor/10Tec 

The demo installs the demo version of the OCX, so be ready to see nag screens :)

To avoid this, overwrite the demo OCX with the full one.

Hi, I am getting a compile error message when opening a file with the iGrid control. It says it is missing the project or library.

I thought I was good to go on this, but I guess not. if you recall, once I had the control configured and working code to populate it on my office PC, I ran into trouble running it on the conf room computer, but after installing the iGrid Demo on that conf room PC, it was working fine, but the file I was using was a dummy file for testing the iGrid control.

I am now trying to test it with the "Real" file. On my office PC, I can get it going just fine (although I had to manually enable the 10Tec controls via the toolbox/Add Controls dialog box and also manually enable the DynamicContentEvents = igDCEventsRowDynamicFormatting via the immediate window). Otherwise, everything was good.

I though maybe it wasn't registered properly, but the original "dummy file" from before still works just fine, even on the conf room computer. I literally dragged the form and the associated code from the "Dummy" file to the "real" file, so I don't see what the problem is. I have made sure to enable the two 10Tec controls (iGrid and ImageList), but I don't see what the problem is.

Any ideas? by the way, I am running 64 Bit Windows 10 on the Conf Rm Computer.
Igor/10Tec
2018-02-15T06:58:22Z
To use iGrid's enum items like igDCEventsRowDynamicFormatting in your code, you need to tell the VB6/VBA compiler how to find the corresponding numbers behind of these constants. If you are using VBA, this is done in the Tools\References dialog. Open the References dialog and check the 10Tec iGrid ActiveX library in the list of available libraries.

Generally the iGrid object library is attached automatically to a VBA project when you place the iGrid control on a form. But maybe, something went wrong in your case and you need to enable this library manually.
csmith222
2018-02-15T13:31:42Z

To use iGrid's enum items like igDCEventsRowDynamicFormatting in your code, you need to tell the VB6/VBA compiler how to find the corresponding numbers behind of these constants. If you are using VBA, this is done in the Tools\References dialog. Open the References dialog and check the 10Tec iGrid ActiveX library in the list of available libraries.

Generally the iGrid object library is attached automatically to a VBA project when you place the iGrid control on a form. But maybe, something went wrong in your case and you need to enable this library manually.

Igor, thank you for the reply. In the References dialog, I do not see "10Tec iGrid ActiveX Library", but I do see: "10Tec iGrid Control 6.5". On my office PC, both the dummy file and the real file have this checked, which is not surprising. From the conf room, the real file says: "Missing: 10Tec iGrid Control 6.5". Opening the dummy file from the conf room PC has it properly checked.

any idea why it would be working from one file and not the other? Both files are using a nearly identical form with an iGrid control configured the same way and running mostly identical code procedures.
Igor/10Tec
2018-02-15T16:06:27Z
When I wrote "the 10Tec iGrid ActiveX library", I meant a particular version of the OCX. And yes, "10Tec iGrid Control 6.5" is what must be checked in the Tools\References dialog.

I do not have any idea why the References dialog show the "Missing" word in the problem file. Try to uncheck it, then check again if it is in the list. If not, add it manually with the Browse button - select the iGrid OCX in the opened File Open dialog.
csmith222
2018-02-15T18:23:59Z

When I wrote "the 10Tec iGrid ActiveX library", I meant a particular version of the OCX. And yes, "10Tec iGrid Control 6.5" is what must be checked in the Tools\References dialog.

I do not have any idea why the References dialog show the "Missing" word in the problem file. Try to uncheck it, then check again if it is in the list. If not, add it manually with the Browse button - select the iGrid OCX in the opened File Open dialog.

PROBLEM SOLVED! that is exactly what was needed. I unchecked the box, while it was saying "Missing:" then clicked ok. When I opened the dialog again, it was no longer there, so I browsed to the OCX file and voila! Thank you so much!